top of page

Tough Tigers tamed at TH King

Updated: Jul 25, 2018

For the second time this season, SKOB have had to withstand a spirited effort from St Bedes Mentone to emerge victorious following a hard fought win at TH King this afternoon. 

St.Kevin’s were able to blood debutante Harry Wardlaw - yet another product of the Under 19s who have been tremendous in providing more than half a dozen players to the senior team already this season - a great pointer to the future of the Club. St.Bedes were coming in with some strong form having won their last 3 on the trot and after a slow first half - their season is starting to build momentum.

TH King had come up well despite the recent rains and the first quarter was a veritable shoot out as both teams enjoyed equal periods of ascendancy. It was first class football on display with both teams registering 4 goals apiece. At the first break, SKOB had a slender lead, having enjoyed slightly more of the play, but their return of 4.5 was closely matched by St Bedes 4.2.

In the second term Shaun Kennedy exploded from the blocks and looked to tear the game apart. The mustachioed one booted 3 quick goals as SKOB put some distance between themselves and their gallant visitors. Last time St.Bedes came to the King it was a 20+ goal blowout, but such is the evenness of the Premier competition this year, there are no more games of that ilk. Every opponent is very hard to beat and the second half of the season often sees upsets. Sure enough, no sooner had SKOB raced out to a four goal lead, St.Bedes fought back - yet were only able to claw the margin in by one goal before the break.

At half time, SKOB enjoyed a comfortable - if hardly formidable - lead  55 to 34.

After the long break it was St Bedes who once again brought the game right up to SKOB. Refusing to bow down, it was the visitors who were starting to gain the ascendancy. They out scored St.Kevins 5 goals to 3 and as the teams headed in for the final huddle there was only 6 points in it, with home supporters getting a little nervous.

Fingers were crossed as the final quarter got underway. Both teams had put their all into the contest and tired legs were showing in the fading light. SKOB were able to kick 3 goals to 1 to finish slightly stronger and take another 4 valuable points from this compelling clash. Once again, Mitch Brown was a leading light for SKOB. Ned Reeves was dangerous all day up forward kicking 3 goals , whilst Under 19 Lachie Farrugia continued his good form and Mahoney was handy on his return back to the Seniors.

SKOB 15.11.101

St.Bedes 12.8.80

In the early game - SKOB reserves had a strong win over St.Bedes - 138 to 42 - with Zach Ginies making a welcome return from long term injury by booting 4 goals

167 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page