top of page
  • Writer's pictureAdmin

Tight win over Trinity for SKOB

A second half fight back has seen SKOB come from behind to defeat Old Trinity in a thrilling encounter at the Daley Oval in Bulleen. Going into the final term with scores locked together, SKOB conceded the first goal before booting the next three, and despite a goal on the siren to the home team, were able to hang on and win by 3 points.

In slippery wintry conditions, the first quarter was an understandably tight affair with clean possessions at a premium and both teams going hard at the football. As had been the case in the earlier meeting at TH King between these two sides, Old Trinity were finding it difficult to score majors. Mostly as a consequence of the conditions and some strong and desperate SKOB defence. At the other end, SKOB were making the most of their limited opportunities and finding the goals - rather than behinds. At the first break, scores were tied on 12 points apiece, but the score line of 2.0 for SKOB against 1.6 for Trinity indicated that they had more of the play but couldn’t convert.

In the second term the home side started to make their greater share of the ball count on the scoreboard. SKOB were finding it difficult to gain any ascendancy and for the most part of the quarter were simply hanging in the contest. Trinity managed to kick 3 goals in the quarter to SKOBs solitary goal, but the visitors were making sure that Trinity didn’t get too far ahead. Later in the term, SKOB were beginning to win more of the ball and would have had confidence going into the sheds. At half time, Old Trinity led 4.8 to 3.1.

After the long break it was SKOB who came out the strongest. Getting their hands first to the ball in the now very slick conditions, and managing their inside 50s more precisely - they were able to set up the forwards in good positions and then score timely goals when it counted. The clouds were getting thicker and as darkness started to shroud the oval, both teams were locked in an absolute arm wrestle of a contest. In scoring 4 goals for the quarter to the home team’s 2, SKOB were able to claw back the lead Old Trinity had enjoyed at the half, and as they turned for home, it was neck and neck with Trinity ahead by a solitary point. There was little doubt that the game was going to go right to the wire.

Despite a plea from the SKOB coaching staff to get the early ascendancy, it was Trinity who struck first, extending their lead to 7 points, but SKOB hit back right away - and in fact hit back twice - to suddenly have the lead back. At the half way point of the last term it was SKOB by 4 points and then 3. The arm wrestle continued right to the last 5 minutes when small forward Billy Kanakis bobbed up and kicked a goal for SKOB to send them 9 points clear and just about home. More ferocious play from both sides reflected the desperate stakes on line in the game, and just as Trinity scored a goal themselves, the siren sounded to see SKOB home by 3 points. Accurate kicking was probably the difference on the day, and SKOB might consider themselves fortunate to leave with the 4 points in the bag, but they fought very hard in tough conditions against a team spurred on by their vociferous home supporters, and deserved their win in the end.

SKOB 10.2.62 Old Trinity 8.11.59

138 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page