top of page

Seniors Unbeaten, Ed Rings boots 10 & Saints Gold Triumph

St Kevin’s OB fought off a valiant effort from Old Scotch to run out 33-point winners at Camberwell Sports Ground. Leading by 12 points at three quarter time, the reigning premiers kicked four goals to one in a dominant final term. A great result to help celebrate Henry Parkes' 100th Game.

The Reserves went down by under a kick against cross town rivals Old Scotch in what was a terrific game of football whilst our 19 sides continue their slow starts to the season, all recording round five losses.

Ed Ring was the star of the show in the Premier Thirds Gold's thumping 154 point win over Collegians, booting 10 majors in a scintillating display up forward. Julian Gambaro was next best with 5.

In summary, three wins for SKOB over the weekend. A lot of hard work on the track this week to turnaround it around this upcoming Saturday!


Thanks to all the great volunteers who assist in running the club. Some are highly visible working on game day, others work quietly away from the "coal face".  A new volunteer this year is John Ogge. John has been around the club for a long time. He was a member of the inaugural U19 side fielded by SKOB in 1980. John has agreed to assist Peter McDonald in  compiling statistics on who plays each week across the the 9 VAFA sides and also the goal kickers. This is a most important job and we are greatly thankful for John's assistance.

Also, special thanks this week to Gerry Gleeson for his role as Interchange Steward for the Seniors. Gerry has has volunteered to do this job for the year. His assistance is greatly appreciated.  

Also, if you know people who are not getting the enews email each week - please direct them to the homepage where they can enter their email in the “Sign up to hear the latest SKOB news” section. Finally, hopefully you are all booked in for the Ladies Lunch on Saturday. We have Shona MacIness from the VAFA to talk about the development of the women's game. It is always a great lunch. Go to the website to book via the Events page or click the link directly:


St Kevin’s stays top in Premier after 33-point win over Old Scotch

David Griffin, Progress Leader

St Kevin’s consolidated top spot in the Premier ranks with a commanding 33-point win over a determined Old Scotch at the Camberwell Sports Ground on Saturday.

Undefeated after five rounds, SKOBs were simply too good when the whips were cracking, running out comfortable winners 13.15 (93) to 9.6 (60).

Bursting out of the blocks with a three-goal-to-none first quarter, it looked like SKOBs all the way.

But to its credit Old Scotch fought back to be just 12 points adrift at the last break.

With the game on the line, SKOBs rallied and kicked four goals to one in the last quarter, coach Tom Williams impressed by his team’s performance.

Henry Parkes chaired off after game no. 100

“I thought this was our best win by far this year,” he said.

“We knew Scotch were going to be tough, they have only lost by an average of eight points all year and generally they have had more scoring shots than the opposition, so I was really happy to get the points.”

While Williams paid credit to the Cardinals he also acknowledged that this year the VAFA Premier competition was an extremely close one. “Despite a few teams being undefeated it’s an even competition,

every game is difficult and that’s how it should be,”

he said.

Camped at the bottom of the ladder, and yet to win a game, Old Scotch coach Dale Bower remains optimistic. “We have played all the undefeated sides so far this year and today was a good effort by our guys,” he said. “St Kevin's is a very good football team that punish you for any mistakes and they did that to us today. It’s not the start we wanted but we will remain positive and look to improve over the next four to six weeks.”


Seven goals from experienced Big V champion, Matt Handley, led Old Xaverians to their first win of 2018 as they defeated St Bedes/Mentone Tigers by four points at Toorak Park. The win elevates Xavs to eighth on the ladder, one spot below the Tigers in seventh.

Old Trinity returned to the winners’ column in emphatic fashion, defeating De La Salle by 34 points at the Daley Oval. Leading by 15 points at the half time break, the T’s piled on 16 goals to three in the third and fourth with Seb Nicolosi dominating and booting six. De La now fall to 1-4 and sit ninth on the ladder.

Despite giving up the last six goals of the game, Old Brighton held on for a thrilling two-point victory over University Blues at Uni Oval. The Tonners maintained their spot in third and three wins above OMs in fifth.

Six goals to one in the final term helped Collegians to a 5-0 record after they defeated Old Melburnians by 36 points at Harry Trott Oval. Both sides remain second and fifth respectively.


40 VAFA players has been selected in the first squad ahead of the Big V’s senior representative match against the Adelaide Footy League on June 9. 34 players come from William Buck Premier, while the remaining six are Premier B. Reigning premiers, St Kevin’s OB, boast the highest number of selections with seven, while fellow grand finalist Collegians have six.

20 of the 22 players who represented the Big V in last year’s record-breaking victory over AFL Victoria Country are in the squad, with champions Brendan Iezzi and Anthony Lynch hanging up the Big V boots after outstanding careers at representative level.

SKOB congratulates Mitch Brown, Will Coates, Sam Critchley, Gerard Gleeson, Thomas Jok,

Billy Kanakis and Nick Wood one their selection.


On Saturday, SKOB had three of its most promising players line up in the first of the VFL Young Guns Series.

Congratulations to Thomas Jok, Ethan Phillips and Ned Reeves who all played - the largest representation from any team in the fixture. We will welcome the boys back this weekend for the game against the undefeated Old Brighton at TH King.

For more info on the Young Guns series (click here)


The SKOB community congratulates Karen Nitschke who made her debut for the SKOB Saints Blue on Saturday against Melb Uni. Karen, a sprightly 49 year old who is Assistant coach of the Blue team snuck her registration through a couple of weeks ago and when the Saints Blue call came for reinforcements, was on hand to pull on the boots and join the battle.

Well done Karen - hopefully there's many more games to come.


SKOB Saints

Massive game against Melbourne University and the girls came into the game well prepared and looking forward to a tough contest. The theme for the day was courage. The girls were inspired to play well wearing the black arm bands for the Straford and Crough family with the passing away of their much loved grandfather.  We also had  the support of our young friend Jai who is part of our club’s Youth Mentoring Program.

The first quarter saw the Saints first to the football and having the game played mostly in our forward half. Our forward line pressure improved greatly and we were gaining confidence being prepared to move the ball on quickly. Townshend and Stoltz were doing well on the wings while Doyle and both Strafford girls dominated the contested possessions. Gleeson playing forward this week took some great pack marks and Cropley was dominate up forward. Kicking with a slight wind we managed to go into the first break 15 points up and keeping Melbourne University scoreless.

Saints 2.3. 15    Melbourne University 0.0.0

The second term the Saints were again the dominant team leading University to the football. Our run and carry and ball movement had their defence under pressure. Kicking against the wind our backline led by McLinden, Gillet Joyce and Bloom in her first game  were all superb. Stoltz was doing a mighty job on their star wingman and at half time the Saints were in control of the match being twenty two  points up.

Saints 3.4 22      Melbourne University 0.0.0

The third quarter kicking with the breeze the Saints had the opportunity to put the game away. The class of Melbourne University began to shine. After missing a few opportunities to score goals Melbourne University began to win a lot more of the football and were running harder. The Saints had a number of injuries with Starr Strafford and Meehan injured and we were down to one rotation. The girls were keeping their structures and playing disciplined football and we were determined to have a big last quarter.

Saints 4.7 31      Melbourne University 1.2.8

The last quarter was a tough slog with the game being played in Melbourne University’s  half. With numbers around the contest the Saints putt up a dogged contest being prepared to scrap and fight to win the football. Despite defending the entire quarter we were able to keep Melbourne goalless and ran the game out recording a very courageous 22 point victory.

Final Scores Saints 4. 7 31 defeated Melbourne University 1.3 9

Goals Georgia Cropley  2,  Sarah Minahan 1, Elena Wedgewood 1

Best: Georgia Cropley, Eliza Straford,  Bree  Doyle, Ellie McLinden, Charlotte Stoltz, Sophie Straford, Margaret Gleeson, Liz Hodgetts

SKOB Saints Blue

It was another glorious day for footy as the Blues prepared for their match against Melbourne University (MU). The Blues welcomed first gamers Spinks, Nitschke and Johnson to the fold. The Melbourn Uni team had the early jump in the first quarter with a quick running game out of the centre. Contaxis fought hard in the ruck with Croagh, Johnson and Ting providing support in the middle. The backline of Manson, Gaffey and Wilson battled hard. The second quarter saw the Blues settle in to the game with the team focusing more on driving the ball forward. Dhont showed good drive out of the backline aptly supported by Atkins and Spinks with the forward pocket in Stephenson and Bradford presenting but being shut down by the MU defensive pressure.

After the long break the Blues came out with renewed vigour and determined focus to holding tackles, and stopping the forward movement of MU by getting in to the packs and forcing the stoppage. The forward drive by MU was stemmed by the strong efforts of Jones, Lupson, Croagh in the midfield and solid defensive work of Gaffey in the square. McIntosh, Hume and Ward battled hard against the strong attacking line of MU.

Wilson was thrown in to the Ruck to ease the pressure on Contaxis. The last quarter saw a fantastic run and chase by Manson and after being on the receiving end of a huge shirt front – Nitschke went in for a big tackle with much enthusiasm. We also saw a ‘don’t argue’ from Gaffey that lifted the spirits of the team. Hunt showed her versatility at various stages in the game starting in attack and then moving to a defensive role.

Best: Gaffey, Jones, Manson, Lupson, Howard and Atkins

SKOB MASTERS 2018 – ROUND 3 MATCH REPORT by John “Foges” Fogarty 

In this rich pageant called life, there are some chores that reside extra heavy in the less pleasant district of the enjoyment scale. One is cleaning out the gutters, another is kissing your great aunty Beryl and a third is having to write the match report on the back of a disappointing loss – ugh…

But that is my lot, and without planting nasturtiums or casting aspersions on the quality of our opposition – which was first class – the SKOB Masters’ have left the sun-kissed surrounds of Elgar Park with a bitter taste that will linger long into the season and not be erased until we can have another crack and try and right the wrongs of a day that started askew and headed awry from there.

This scribe was late (as usual) again taking time out to catch a half of his beloved Tiges – should I mention how well they are going at the moment? Anyhoo, it meant that I arrived at Elgar Park just as the teams were breaking from their first term huddle. The SKOB Masters’ at this stage were up 2 goals to 1 in what looked like a tight affair played on a postage stamp sized ground that was more Penny Black than your Olympic Edition Cathy Freeman – if you get what I mean. If you don’t get what I mean – it was a small ground.

There were five SKOB Masters’ men on the bench at this stage and this scribe thought perhaps we were in healthy shape, until the coach turned and said, “well three of them can’t come back on – so you’d better get changed”. Even though we had comfortably accounted for the same opposition on the same deck just a fortnight ago, the side had undergone more changes than Bowie in the 70’s and the coaching staff and players were finding it hard enough to introduce themselves to all these new faces – let alone transform them into a waxing and waning super tight unit of ball sharers. That’s not to say that the new lads were not having an impact – it was just that we didn’t quite have the cohesion that has been the signature of the SKOB Masters’ under Coach Ryan and his trusty sidekick SOC – who was himself looking a little worse for wear after a massive session at the Percy Beams bar in the Members at the ‘G’ the previous day.

Throughout the second term the Box Hill North lads were pressing hard with their chip n’ charge game – making better use of the ball and navigating their way through the tight space like a Deliveroo rider on Collins Street, whilst the big SKOB Masters’ bus was battling with their bearings, but every once in a while would barge through the traffic and hit back with timely twins that kept  the “home” side at bay. During the quarter, the SKOB Masters’ lost big man Adee Grantee to a ricketee knee and then Kala “Mari” saren to a calf injury. “Anyone would call that an old man’s injury” said this scribe to the unfortunate Kala – “except that you still look like you’re 22 you lucky bugger”. In a further setback to the coaches, Tim “Crazy Horse” Kehoe refused to go back on the ground until they installed an electronic scoreboard that would splash “Tim Kehoe Is On Fire!” at regular intervals.

Despite this, we welcomed a bunch of new kids on the block and they were all proving very handy with “Dancing” Ricky Caldow, Ben “Horse With No Name” Hughes, Ian “Craig” Parry who was masterful all day and Mick McCullough (whose name sounds like someone clearing their throat) all doing damage on their respective SKOB Masters’ debuts. Frankie “Four Fingers” Carlucci and Jesse “The Beardy” Seven were again providing focal points up forward and if they weren’t plucking marks, were distributing crumbs to the usual mosquito fleet of Marchesani, Marchesani and Morley - which sounds an unlikely name for funeral directors, but they were doing their best to bury the opposition.

On the stroke of half time, Dave “Torps” Sheehy had a chance to stretch the lead on the bell. “This is the stuff you dream of as a 3-year old” said Coach Rock, as Shutdown took his shot after the siren. My response was “seriously, you were dreaming that at three? When I was that age I dreamt of just being able to climb out the cot on my own”. “Yeah, I had a competitive older brother” said Rock – clearly battling with some repressed childhood memories. Anyhoo – Shutdown’s attempted torpedo was more chewed plastic container than barrel and subsequently fell short. The SKOB Masters’ led by 3 points at the main break.

At cordial break, Frank “Jubes” Marchesani was dishing out the jellies and restocking the sugar levels of the tired troops as they looked to revive from a tough first half in warm (but great for football) conditions. Coach Rock emphasized the importance of the first five minutes and sending a message. That message was delivered as the SKOB Masters’ flew out of the blocks after the main break and should have had a few more goals to show for it, but for some desperate goal line touches by the opposition to deny the SKOB Masters’. It was left up to Jesse “Why don’t they just let me wear the number…” Seven to launch one of his now trademark 50 metre drop punts of pure delight onto the miniature railway track at the southern end of Elgar Park to put some distance between ourselves and the Box Hillians from the North.

It was looking good, but alas, we were let down by a minute of sleepiness when we let Box Hill North in for back to back goals and suddenly it was game on again.  Jake “Northern” Ireland was proving he could negotiate any “troubles” whether he be placed on the left or right wing of the football divide, whilst Wayne “Strop” Cornell was an in and under specialist, winning free kicks for being first to the ball or distributing the pill out of packs like an ex AFL coach. Meanwhile Nick Trenfield “Saddler” had a welcome return in his first game for the SKOB Masters’ in 2018 and was giving plenty of drive from half back.

At the final break, Box Hill held a slender lead. The first goal was going to be crucial, and having repelled a few early attacks, the SKOB Masters’ gave up a downfield free – which was converted much to the chagrin of Joel “There Is No” Godde by his direct opponent who up until that time he had kept goalless. Such is the nature of the beautiful game that it can come up and bite you like Christian Petracca’s dog just when you think you have it under control. With the lead out beyond a goal, Box Hill North were able to milk the clock like a Camperdown farmer and despite throwing everything at them in the last 10 minutes SKOB could only manage a single goal to “Morls” Morley. The SKOB Masters’ ran out of time just as Nick “I would have made the distance had I not been out lunching with the assistant coach yesterday” Marchesani was charging in on goal. 

So the SKOB Masters came up short and Box Hill were worthy winners. Having met them twice in two weeks we will have to wait until finals to get a chance at redemption, but hopefully the bitter pill of defeat will keep us motivated to get to that next meeting with a renewed purpose (and maybe an electronic scoreboard…)

Final Scores SKOB MASTERS     2.1    5.1      7.4        8.6.54 BOX HILL NTH        1.1    4.5      7.6        8.9.57

Goal Kickers: Jesse Seven 3, Chris Morley 2 & singles to Ben Marchesani, Nick Trenfield & Ian Parry Best Players: Jake Ireland, Ian Parry, Ben Marchesani, Jesse Seven, Nick Trenfield, Wayne Cornell

324 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page