top of page
  • Writer's pictureAdmin

Second half fightback seals significant win

Updated: Aug 5, 2019

A strong second half has seen SKOB come from a 16 point halftime deficit to record a vital 11 point win that consolidates its spot in third place and keeps them within reach of a top two spot. The win was hard fought against a fellow top four side, and means that SKOB have emerged from their run of 3 weeks in a row against top four teams with a 2-1 win/loss ratio to keep their 2019 season in good health.

The match was a high quality contest with both sides enjoying moments of dominance and momentum, and the score fluctuated significantly throughout the day. The home team got out to a 9 point lead early in the final quarter, before SKOB kicked into gear again and wrestled back the momentum. Kicking the final 3 goals of the game, it was SKOB who finished full of running and in front at the right time of the day.

Early on, the game was marred by errant kicking as both teams struggled to score majors when in attack. It was a total of 8 scoring shots apiece in the first term, but the home sides wasteful 1.7 to SKOBs 3.5 would be the factor they would be left to rue most. As mentioned, this was SKOBs third game in succession against a top four side in a tricky fixturing run that would shape their season one way or the other. Following on from last week's win against the top team, SKOB were wary to keep their intensity levels high and this was evident in the first term. Hitting the huddle, they would have been pleased with their efforts.

After a terrific snap off the ground by Lachie Sullivan for a goal to start proceedings, it turned significantly in quarter 2 as the home team clicked up forward. They were using the ground better and their talls were proving a handful for the SKOB defence. Zach Ginies broke a run of three in a row for Collegians with a handy goal at the 24 minute mark, but this was met with an immediate reply. Some strong marking late in the term by Collegians saw them boot another few goals and saw them go into the sheds with a 16 point lead.

SKOB came out after half time with a renewed vigour and looked to control the ball and the tempo right from the get-go. And early goal to Kanakis settled a few nerves and got the ball back on to SKOB's terms. Kanakis soccered a clever goal off the bottom of the pack and soon the half time deficit had been mostly erased. Collegians withstood a lot of the SKOB barrage after that period and although SKOB were able to control possession and have the ball spend most of the time in their forward half, they were unable to convert this on the scoreboard. Nick Wood capped off a fine piece of team work with a goal to break the drought at the 20 minute mark, but the home team managed to get one against the run of play late in the term to snatch back a slender lead as the teams headed for the huddle for the final time.

With so so much to play for in the final quarter it was again skob that kicked an early goal - this time through Luke Andrews - but the home team answered back and kicked a couple of back to back goals. They had another chance from the goal line but missed, leaving the door ajar. Collegians led by 9 points halfway through the term, but SKOB wrestled back momentum and then found a tall target of their own up forward in the form of Shaun Kennedy. He booted 2 goals and could

have had another after marking strongly on the lead. With minutes to go, both sides threw everything into the contest and the game could have gone either way until Sam Barnett caused a brilliant turnover at half forward that ultimately resulted in a goal to John Wood, giving SKOB a decent lead that they were able to keep right through to the siren.

The four points gained were vital for SKOB as they now have a two game break in third spot and are still only a game behind second. With the promise of more players returning in the next few weeks they are well set up to mount a big campaign in the final run home.

57 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page